Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Titles for Chapters

One of my favorite assignments for helping students summarize chapters in a novel is having them create titles for chapters. The Schwa Was Here by Neal Shusterman does that brilliantly and humorously. While the story itself was intriguing as it was about a boy who faded into the background, like so many teens feel that they do, I just loved the chapter titles. Some good examples:
"Manny Bullpucky gets his sorry butt hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"
"As if I didn't already have enough annoying things to do every day, Now I gotta do this"

and a personal favorite

"Maybe they had it right in France because getting my head lopped off by a guillotine would have been easier..."

Who wouldn't want to read to find out what that's all about?

No comments: