Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Every Bone Tells a Story by Jill Rubalcaba and Peter Robertshaw

I found this book while browsing the 2011 YALSA shortlist for their excellence in nonfiction award.  It's a book that will intrigue a very niche "market" among young adults fascinating by evolution, paleontology, archaeology and ancient man.  It's also one of those young adult nonfiction books that, as an adult, I enjoy reading because I don't always have the time to invest in the longer, more in-depth books on this type of subject written for adults.  Every Bone...  tells the story of four hominin discoveries that have stirred controversy in the scientific community (Turkana Boy, Lapedo Child,
Kenniwick Man and Iceman) from their discovery through the scientific examination of the evidence to the deductions drawn from the fossils.

This would be a good book to book talk as students debate the Creationism vs. Evolutionary Theory debates.

No comments: