Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Three Picture Books from ALA's List of Best Books from 2007

My new favorite picture book is That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown by Cressida Cowell. Crowell also wrote the Heroic Misadventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III series which were masterfully adapted to audio by David Tennant. Emily Brown lives up to the brilliance of that series! It is one of those books that just begs to be read out loud. Cowell's voice comes through loud and clear, and it has the right amount of repetition for students to follow along. The queen covets Emily's rabbit Stanley...does everyone have their price?

Pictures from our Vacation by Lynne Rae Perkins is a great book for parents to use at the beginning of summer vacation. It would be a great impetus for elementary students to document their own summer vacations. It also has some great maps for social studies

Velma Gratch and the Way Cool Butterfly by Alan Madison and Kevin Hawkes is a great book to use at the start of a unit on butterflies or to counteract sibling rivalry. Velma is the youngest sister of a trio who is looking for her own special niche in the world. She finds it at a butterfly conservatory.

No comments: