Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Two Gems for Curriculum Connections

Frindle by Andrew Clements may be my new favorite chapter book for elementary school students. The main character Nicholas rises to his 5th grade teacher's challenge of using the dictionary. Only problem is, he doesn't use it in the way she intended. Instead, he creates a new word and conducts an experiment showing how a word becomes part of the English language. Language purists beware! Frindle may not be for you, but for those of you who believe in the power of words or think language should be playful, you are in for a delight!

The Lemonade War by Jacqueline Davies can be used to teach math or business plans (in mini-societies as my son's 4th grade class did this year). Or, it can be used to make students sensitive to their peer's educational differences. The book switches point of view between people smart Evan and his math genius sister Jessie. Which of these two "intelligences" is better suited to selling lemonade? What happens when different strengths combine forces? A fun and funny look at sibling rivalry over one summer vacation.

No comments: