Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Friday, May 25, 2012

The Crossing by Gary Paulsen

I have been a fan of Gary Paulsen since Dogsong and Hatchet were first published in the 1980's.  These novels have been beloved, particularly by boys, for the last thirty years.  I have also enjoyed Paulsen's nonfiction books like Guts and Puppies, Dogs and Blue Northers, so I was excited to see he had written the novel The Crossing because I am looking for books about immigration.

El Paso and Juarez, separated by the Rio Grande
 I found Manny's story compelling.  An orphaned Mexican boy living on the Juarez border is trying to cross the Rio Grande to the Promised Land.  Sergeant Locke's story was equally compelling; as Vietnam veteran, Locke drank nightly to keep the ghosts of dead comrades from haunting him.  Separately, I found these two stories plausible; however, as the two merge together, I began to be a little disappointed in the plot.  I just didn't believe it.

I don't want to give away the ending for those who might be interesting but suffice it to say that even though the novel ends on a hopeful note, I'm just not that optimistic.

No comments: