Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Food...my favorite topic


A few years ago, I read Animal,Vegetable, Mineral: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver, which chronicles a year that the author spent eating only foods that had been grown, raised, harvested, etc. within a 100 mile radius of her home.  The book has been credited with beginning what is known as the “local-avore” movement in the United States.  Kingsolver argues that food grown within that 100-mile radius is healthier for us and for the planet. 

Around the same time, the book The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan hit the New York Times bestseller list, and since food fascinates me, I meant to read it but never did.  I recently picked it up.  One of the great things about this book is that it was popular enough that the author adapted it for a younger, middle school, audience.  So, young readers have a choice: read the original or read the easier adaptation.  I’ll admit I was pressed for time when I requested the download from the library, and so I read the shorter one.  I can’t completely compare because I did not read the original, but the adaptation was quite interesting. 

Pollan traces four meals from field to plate, as best he can…The first meal is a fairly traditional American meal, then an industrial organic one, a more “pure” organic meal, and a meal hunted and gathered.  Pollan’s point is that we are so disconnected from our food that we have lost sight of what we are really eating.  Is that healthy for the planet or us?  

No comments: