Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Matched by Ally Condie


I was planning to skip this 2012 Rhode Island Teen Book Award nominee, but then it won…Between that and the fact that Amazon offered it as one of their Kindle daily deals, I decided to give it a whirl, very much prepared to read yet another dystopian fiction book for teens.  Ho hum.   I was pleasantly surprised, very pleasantly surprised. 

Yes, this is dystopian fiction, but the story of Cassia discovering that the Society is not the perfect place that she thought it was makes a great story of self-discovery.  Besides, it includes some great snippets of poetry from Dylan Thomas, the greatest poet that Wales ever produced, like

 "My birthday began with the water -
Birds and the birds of the winged trees flying my name
  Above the farms and the white horses
         And I rose
     In rainy autumn
And walked abroad in a shower of all my days"
'Poem in October' from Dylan Thomas' Collected Poems  (London: Phoenix, 2003)

Any excuse to expose young adults to great poetry!  

I'd recommend this book to young adults from about 6th grade up.   The book is a lighter, less violent Hunger Games.  Looking forward to reading the next two books in the series.  

No comments: