Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Are you feeling Lucky?

Newbery Award winner and user of the word scrotum (gasp), The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron is a wonderful story of young Lucky whose mother has died, and her Guardian is her father's first wife Brigette. Lucky has problems with trust as would any child who lost a mother and whose father opts to not parent. The driving fear of the book is that her Guardian will desert her and return to France. She wonders how to access her Higher Power, a force that she overhears her twelve step neighbors discuss. The conflict with her Guardian is neatly resolved, but I was left a bit unsatisfied with Lucky's contact with her Higher Power. Still, it was a wonderful read.

No comments: