Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Precocious Young Girls

What is it about precocious female protagonists that I find so very appealing? Some of my favorite characters in children's literature have been Harriet the spy, Claudia Kincaid from The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Anastasia Krupnik and from today's book Margaret Rose Kane in E.L. Konigsburg's The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place. Margaret is typical of the rest of these girls--intelligent, misunderstood by less-than-sympathetic adults and willing to take risks. I often wonder if these aren't the characteristics of the authors themselves. Otherwise, where would they get the courage to write or worse, send off to a publisher, such wonderful books?

One of the arguments I heard a lot during classes is that children and young adults need to be able to identify with the characters in the books they read? So, do these books only appeal to precocious females? I would have to say no, because while I am female and, perhaps, intelligent, I would not describe myself as precocious, misunderstood or willing to take risks. Do these characters appeal, because they are who every girl wants to be (or for an adult, who she wanted to be as a child)? Or, and I sometimes suspect this, are they written for the adult women (as so many librarians and teachers are) who buy them?

But, these books are not all about the wonderfully clever characters who always seem to best the somewhat dense authorities that people them. I loved that Outcasts was about a girl who loves her eccentric, European uncles and who appreciates and is willing to fight for "outsider art." I loved the truffle hunting dog and the neighbors with the sourdough starter kit. Konigsburg's humor appeals to me as does her sense of beauty.

Another wonderful read from the the mind of E.L.Konigsburg

No comments: