Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

PB David Wiesner

Caldecott Medal winner Flotsam by David Wiesner is a story told without words.  When a young boy finds an underwater camera washed up on the shore, the camera tells a fascinating story about curiosity and imagination.  Wiesner reminds me a bit of Peter Sis in that his pictures tell more than a thousand words.  I can think of all kinds of ways to use this book in the middle school classroom.  For example, teach a lesson on inferencing characterization by having the students assign traits to the boy and provide evidence for those traits.  Students could also predict the next story, since the story ends with a cycle about to begin again...

No comments: