Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

PB Neil Gaiman

Neil Gaiman always writes the strangest books...but I do tend to like them.  I'm not sure exactly what this one is about, except maybe imagination...What really struck me about this particular book (and maybe it was just because I am looking for word patterns) was the number of -ing words that Gaiman uses...sometimes participle phrases, sometimes, gerunds, sometimes, progressive tenses...just lots of -ings...My point obviously being that I think this book would be a great text to use with students to show them the uses of these participle phrases (particularly) in adding interest and variety to a text.

No comments: