Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Take What You Can Carry--graphic novel

The graphic novel Take What You Can Carry by Kevin C. Pyle is another parallel plot story where the author brings together two stories that seem to be unrelated at the beginning.  The first story, told in silent sepia, begins right after the bombing of Pearl Harbor sets in motion the internment of Japanese-Americans.  This is always a poignant story, one that too few Americans are aware of.   I've written about some non-fiction curriculum links in another post on Weedflower, so I won't repeat that information.

Graphics from Macmillan Publishing website
The alternating text is set in suburban Chicago in 1978...the blue and white illustrations remind me of the '70's...not a monochromatic era, but one in which the colors seem to be bland when viewed in retrospect.  I guess I've been looking at too many photos from my childhood lately.  I realize that colors have faded in the last forty years, but I do remember those awful olive green and cream colored appliances very well!  So, the color resonates with me, but Kyle's part of the story does not.  I do like how the writer connects Kyle's story to Ken's.  I love how two people from very different cultures and generations come to some understanding of one another's position.  I particularly like one aspect of Kyle's character that comes into play in the story (I don't want to give too much away), but I don't really like Kyle.  I don't really see his motivation for acting like a jerk especially when he could have allied himself with a more sensible friend.

The story of the Japanese-Americans does not get much play in the curriculum.  Most teachers, and I think rightly so, will present the Holocaust literature instead.   However, I think that Take What You Can Carry might be able to introduce a generation to this piece of American history.  It could easily be added reading to a World War II literature unit or read in comparison/contrast to a Holocaust story.  Because it is so short (I was done in about 45 minutes, and I believe there was a catnap in there as well), it is not a book that will take a lot of reading time, but it will introduce the topic well.  One thing that I would say to potential readers, if you don't know much about the Japanese internment, it would be wise to read the historical notes on the last pages.  This information will provide the reader with the context to understand the "silent film."  I would recommend this book to students grade 7 or 8 and above.

No comments: