Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Friday, April 20, 2012

The Devil's Arithmetic


posted Jun 22, 2010 4:22 PM by D. Carlino   [ updated Jun 22, 2010 4:31 PM ]
    I just finished The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen.  This historical fiction novel introduces readers to the Holocaust through a young girl's experience with her family's memories.  While Hannah is reluctantly celebrating the Passover seder dinner, she gets dragged into the past where she discovers why her extended family places so much importance on the family's Holocaust story.  While the novel is realistic about the harshness of this era, it is perhaps a good novel to introduce a reader to this stark and horrifying subject.  I would recommend it to students grades 6 and up especially if parents are reading along with them and can help answer questions that might come up.  

No comments: