Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Friday, April 20, 2012

The Truth About Truman School by Dori Hillestad Butler

When the faculty advisor to the school newspaper nixes all of her story idea, Zebby and her best friend Amr decide to create a website called "The Truth About Truman School."  They see their website as a place where classmates can read and write the "true" stories about what goes on at their middle school.  What they don't anticipate is that the "Truth about Truman School" is that kids there are mean...are we ourselves online? or are we emboldened by our anonymity?  This novel explores this topic through the eyes of multiple middle school students.

Recommended for grades 5-8



No comments: