Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Friday, April 20, 2012

Parvana's Journey by Deborah Ellis

According to the author's blurb, Deborah Ellis spend some time in Afghan's refugee camps interviewing women for a book of oral histories on the war.  Her encounters with children in those camps gave rise to two young adult novels, Breadwinner and Parvana's Journey.  I didn't realized when I borrowed Parvana's Journey from the library that it was a sequel book, or I would have read Breadwinner first.  However, I found that it didn't really make much of a difference; Parvana's Journey can stand alone as a child's view of war.  The story begins at the funeral of Parvana's father; the war had already separated her from the rest of her family.  She must travel alone to survive, but a young girl traveling alone in Taliban-controlled Afghanistan is highly dangerous.  This is another novel that will give students insight into children and war.  They may leave this book with many questions about American involvement in Afghanistan as well as the relationship among groups like the Taliban, al-Qaeda, and Muslims.

Recommended age group, grades 5-8

No comments: