Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Friday, April 20, 2012


Two from the R.I. Teen Book Award List

posted Jul 5, 2011 4:46 PM by D. Carlino   [ updated Jul 5, 2011 4:48 PM ]
            After Ever After by Jordan Sonnenblick is, in many ways, the story of many young adults who enter eighth grade with insecurities about girls, athletic ability, family changes, and being “different.”  However, the protagonist of this novel also must contend with the fact that he is a cancer survivor.  How does his childhood cancer and subsequent treatments affect his middle school years?  After Ever After is a touching and realistic story of a teen playing the cards that life has dealt him and doing it with a “beau geste.”  (To find out what a “beau geste” is…read the book!)

            After a little realistic fiction, I decided to read one of the historical fiction titles on the Award shortlist. Sources of Light by Margaret McMullen is set in Mississippi in 1962, a key year in that state’s struggle with the Civil Rights Movement.  Sam, the young girl who is the protagonist of this novel, uses her newfound skills as a photographer to chronicle the cruelty of the era.  What I really liked about this book though was that while the author did not romanticize the cruelty of the South around the issue of racism, she also managed to remind the reader about what was good in Southern values.  It reminded me very much of something I discovered after living for three years in Texas.  While I never fully embraced the Texas “frame of mind,” I came to very much appreciate Texas and Texans for who they were.  The same will be true here.  Rhode Island readers in 2011 will probably never fully understand Mississippi in 1962 and certainly (I hope!) will reject the fear and hatred that spurred the Civil Rights Movement, but they will get a realistic taste of the South, both the good and the bad.  

No comments: