Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Friday, April 20, 2012

The Kind of Friends We Used to Be

posted Jul 16, 2010 6:12 AM by D. Carlino
            Readers who like novels that tell stories from more than one point of view might enjoy The Kind of Friends We Used to Be by Frances O’Roark Dowell.  The two protagonists Kate and Marylin were neighbors and best friends all through elementary school; however, as they enter middle school, they discover that being neighbors isn’t really enough to make two people friends.  Friends need common interests and common values.  Both girls struggle to answer that most fundamental question of the middle school years:  who am I and how do my friends reflect that?
            This novel is the sequel to The Secret Language of Girls and is a quick but satisfying read for girls in grades 5-8. 

No comments: