Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Friday, April 20, 2012

Split by Swati Avasthi (2010)

While this was one of those novels that I just could not put down, I did find the ending a little disappointing...perhaps a little too hopeful in the end to be realistic.  That said, there is a lot to recommend this novel to young adults.  First, I commend the author for giving us a sympathetic male protagonist...such a rarity!  Second, the novel touches on child abuse and how it can create a cycle of abuse in families.  When children see their fathers abuse their mothers, they are much more likely to repeat that kind of abuse in their dating relationships and with their own children.  Since Jace Witherspoon, the protagonist, has the childhood baggage that he does, I really wanted him to seek some professional help to   help him overcome his anger.  Finally, the author gives us a riveting plot; Jace has secrets--a lot of secrets--that just might keep him from being able to re-create his once close relationship with his older brother.

Recommended for teens grades 8 and up since there are some issues with language and sexuality.

No comments: