Why "The Search for..."?

I got my title from the book The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt. where there is a wonderful quote--

" 'Of course it's silly,' said the Prime Minister impatiently. 'But a lot of serious things start silly.'"

This particular quote stuck out for me as I was reading The Search for Delicious to my kids this past fall, and I put it aside knowing that I would use it somewhere, sometime. It seems like the perfect subtitle to this blog as many of my musing probably are silly, but may turn serious at any moment!

Friday, April 20, 2012

Wintergirls

posted Jun 29, 2010 1:34 PM by D. Carlino   [ updated Jun 29, 2010 1:38 PM ]
        While a depressing beginning to my summer reading, Wintergirls  by Laurie Halse Anderson nevertheless starkly described the sad, but all too real world of an anorexic girl.  The main character Lia is coping with her best friend Cassie’s death.  Cassie, a bulemic, haunts Lia’s life as she navigates her parents’ divorce and perennial busy-ness.  The title does a good job of introducing the idea that these girls both lived in a state of perpetually frozen hearts and souls as they struggle with their weight.
            This book is not for the faint of heart.  I would recommend it to any student interested in the psychology of anorexia and bulimia, since the author did her research on the topics with experts and patients alike.  However, be advised that reading about depression is…well…depressing. 

No comments: